“We are not alone.”
Sounds like a pivotal quote in some ancient alien movie, but it’s not. It’s the heart of Christmas.
God sent His son, Jesus, so that we would not be alone.
That’s a good thing because
- we were not designed to be isolated.
- Our minds, wills and emotions yearn for connection.
- Our souls ache to be filled with God’s presence.
Nothing else will do.
So, don’t be fooled by Winter Festival talk or Happy Holidays greetings. The stunning glory of Christmas is the advent of Christ.
Isaiah 9:2 declares that “The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
on them has light shone”.
Heads up (for all those whose brain functioning are already dulled by too much Christmas cakes and goodies) –
- This light has absolutely nothing to do with the Christmas display in the neighbor’s yard
- or some spectacular light show downtown.
The light of the world is Jesus.
His name is also Emmanuel. God with us.
We are not alone.